
Man, this was one's killer. I am a fan of oatmeal stouts and this is no exception, but wow. This beer is pretty tasty and very dark with a deep burgundy color. I couldn't see light through the glass I drank it out of! Yeah. It has a rich, burnt oatmeal and chocolate flavor and is very heavy. I felt very full and sleepy after drinking this beer. After doing a little reading (wiki), I've found that this beer has been made from the same yeast since 1900. Impressive. No wonder it's more expensive. I thought it was just the extra large bottle (almost 19 oz instead of 12). Another interesting thing about this beer is that it is brewed independently of the larger distributors. Samuel Smith's beer is not to be confused with John Smith's beer. According to wikipedia there were two brothers that ran two breweries next door to each other.
While definitely interesting and delicious, this isn't something I would just drink for any old occasion. Mainly because of the price and the effect it has on you. But I would keep this in mind for, say a dinner party or whatnot.
One of my favorites, but, as you so astutely observed, not for everyday drinking. Delicious! And nutritious! And tastes nothing like chicken....
ReplyDelete